Origin of the blend:
70% old vineyards (more than 20 grape varieties all mixed) with Tinta Roriz, Tinta Amarela, Touriga Franca and others ; 27% from 15 years old vines of Touriga Nacional and 3% of Sousão.
Very concentrated, with balsamic oak notes, fig and black plum aromas, tobacco.
Full bodied, firm, mature and silky tannins. Mineral notes and a very elegant, persistent and complex finish.
The grapes from the old vineyards (over 80 years old) were vinified in stainless steel, temperature controlled, remontage vats, holding up to 5.000 kilos of grapes each. The chosen parcels of the 16 hectares of the old vineyards at Quinta do Vallado were vinified separately, the fermentation lasting an average of 8 to 20 days. The grapes from the younger vineyards of Sousão were foot trodden in lagares and fermented in the lagares for 6 days.
The wines from the old vineyards were then stored in stainless steel tanks for the duration of the malolactic fermentation and were afterwards racked to 225 litres new French Allier Oak barriques. The wines from new vineyards after a first racking were immediately stored in similar 225 litres barriques of new French oak. The wine was kept for 17 months on the barriques.
Awards / References:
• "Wine Spectator" - January 2011 - 94 pts
• "Robert Parker" - December 2010 - 93 pts
• "Wine Spectator" - December 2009 - 96 pts
• "Wine Spectator" - December 2005 - 27th on the TOP 100 Wines of the World
• "Wine & Spirits" - April 2010 - 96 pts
• "International Wine Challenge" - Douro Trophy / Gold Medal in 2005 and 2006