History

Quinta do Vallado, built in 1716, is one of the oldest and more famous farms in the Douro Valley.

It is located on the banks of the Corgo River, a tributary of the Douro River, right next to its mouth and close to the town of Peso da Régua.

Having belonged to the family of the legendary Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira, it remains to this day in the hands of her descendants.

Purchased in 1818 by António Bernardo Ferreira (uncle and father-in-law of Dona Antónia), Quinta do Vallado had for a long time as its main activity the production of Port wine, which was sold by the family firm - Casa Ferreira.

This changed in 1987, the date when Casa Ferreira was sold. Up to that time, Jorge Viterbo Ferreira, great-grandson of Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira, and after him his son Jorge Cabral Ferreira, stood out at the helm of Quinta do Vallado's management.

Modern Times

After the sale of Casa Ferreira, new challenges arose, and in 1993, under the direction of Guilherme Álvares Ribeiro and his wife Maria Antónia Ferreira, the company decided to expand the business to the production, bottling and sale of own-label wines.

In the same year, under the guidance of Prof. Nuno Magalhães, the quinta started a deep restructuring of its vineyards viewing the production of high-quality grape varieties and the adoption of vine plantation and training systems ensuring optimum vegetative development.

The new vines were planted using a single variety on each plot, breaking with the old tradition of mixing different varieties on the same plot.

Today, Quinta do Vallado has 10 hectares of vineyards planted at the decade of 1920 and 55 hectares of vineyards planted at the decade of 1990.

In Vila Nova de Foz Côa, Quinta do Vallado acquired Quinta do Orgal where, since 2009, 35 hectares of vineyards have been planted, which are organically farmed.

Quinta do Vallado is currently managed by João Ferreira Álvares Ribeiro (CEO) and Francisco Ferreira (Agricultural management, Oenology and Production), with the assistance of Francisco Olazabal (Chief winemaker). All of them are great-great-great grandchildren of Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira.

Under this team, a new building was built in 2009 to accommodate the new winery and oak barrels cellar, which combines state-of-the art technology with high-quality architectural design, making it one of the most visited places in the Douro Valley.

Please note, your browser is out of date.
For a good browsing experience we recommend using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Internet Explorer.